5 Top Tips to help your small business
With taking the brave steps to be my own boss earlier this year, I am relatively new to running a business. To say it is easy, is really stretching the truth – its damn hard work. I have faced lots of challenges over the past few months and I wouldn’t say it has gotten easier, I have just gotten a little bit better at dealing with it.
But through hard work and determination, I am edging closer each day to my goal of running a successful business.
These are 5 things that I have had to learn the hard way, hopefully by sharing with you all, they will help you to be successful in your small business.
My top 5 business tips are:
- Have your contact details easy to find. How can you obtain new business if your prospective clients cannot find you? Whether it be on your website, or social media platforms like facebook and Linked in, make sure that your phone number, website and email are easy to see. If a prospective client easily finds your details, they will be more inclined to reach out to you.
- Include an “About Me” section on your website and social media. A photo and a story about you will help prospective clients to understand who you are. this will make them see you as a real person, not just someone unknown behind a screen. Having a photo and info about you helps to build a connection, even trust… clients know you are real and feel better about contacting you.
- Network – put your self out there! Tell everyone and anyone all about your new business. Join local small business groups in your area where you can meet face to face with other like mined individuals. This is where you can share knowledge and advice. And yes it is ok to network with your competitors! Fostering these relationships can benefit you both, especially when you or they have a deadline and need assistance. Online social media groups are great too – you can get a lot of support from online groups and forums.
- Be organised. Set aside time each week to assess your job load. Schedule time to do accounts, social media posts, website updates, make sales calls etc. If you plan your week, you are more likely to meet every deadline without running around in a mad panic. Its hard when there is so much to do, but when you break it down and schedule some time to do these each week, things will run much smoothly.
- Set Boundaries – I don’t know about you, but I have found myself checking emails whilst in bed late at night, or even on weekends, scared I might miss something. Well its ok not to check those emails outside your normal business hours, so when your in bed at 10pm and your phone buzzes, leave it – the email will be there in the morning. You don’t work 24/7 so when your business is closed, switch off – enjoy the down time with your family.
With these 5 small pieces of advice, your business will hopefully run smoother, be more productive and your client base will grow. And remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day – it will happen with hard work, determination and a great attitude.
Stay tuned for an updates on how my business in is travelling.
Rachel, Secretarial Online.